Today, we’re proud to announce the release of our next flagship version – SuperX 3.0, codenamed – Grace. This version is named in honor of the great computer scientist – Grace Hopper. The word “Grace” in English language also means,
[blockquote]smoothness and elegance of movement[/blockquote]
which highlights our vision for a smooth and elegant operating system. That vision will be realised in every aspect of Grace.
Grace is now available for download from our website, in both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.
Focus on design
We’ve tried to make Grace a beautiful OS. Grace features a beautiful startup splash that changes its background to whatever the user’s wallpaper is, giving SuperX a really smooth transition from the splash screen to the desktop. It features a flat design theme for the desktop shell, with bright, contrasting colors. In Grace, we’ve simplified the desktop shell removing controls which are confusing to everyday users.
To meet our design standards, we are using Roboto as the default font, while Source Sans Pro, Oxygen, Noto and Droid are complimentary fonts, used in the system.
Optimized for desktop computing
Grace gives more priority to application responsiveness; you will feel it right from the start – a fast, smooth, responsive system. Grace, by default, compresses unused memory pages within RAM rather than swapping out to the swap partition, making it responsive even when the system memory is low.
Commonly used applications are preloaded and cached in memory for faster startup of your favorite applications.
Meeting the enterprise needs
SuperX 3.0 Grace will be available in two variants:
- Freemium variant which is available from today for anyone to download and use.
- Professional variant for business and enterprise, which we will be announcing shortly. This variant will have enhanced support for Microsoft Windows applications, along with advanced management tools, bundled with support and training from Libresoft.
Highlights of software components, in SuperX 3.0:
- Linux kernel 3.13
- KDE 4.13.3 – along with many KDE applications, that we use and love
- Apt-fast, for faster apt-get
- Mozilla Firefox (default browser)
- Mozilla Thunderbird, default email client
- LibreOffice – Writer, Calc, Impress, Base and Draw
- VLC Media Player
- OpenShot Video Editor
- USB Modem Manager, for managing USB dongles
- IBus (keyboard input method), along with Indian language input support
- Indic Keyboard, on-screen keyboard with both English and Indian language input support
These are only highlights and not a detailed listing of all the applications.
We have integrated the best tools available for usage in SuperX. Although we prioritize KDE and Qt applications more than GTK ones but we do not compromise on quality. Grace includes many apps and system tools made by other distributions, written in GTK, and we have worked to integrate them with rest of the SuperX and KDE.
Further, we have integrated network proxy settings system-wide. Now, if you set network proxy settings in Control Panel, those proxy settings are used across the system, including command-line applications, even under sudo. This will save a lot of hassle and time for sure.
Help and Support
SuperX 3.0 will be supported by regular software updates and bug fixes, until April 2019.
Room for improvement
Like any piece of software, SuperX 3.0 Grace is not perfect. It has flaws, and we’d like to iron them out as we move forward. So we are going to have lots of “Milestone releases”, which are equivalent to service packs. The version number after the decimal point will be incremented with every Milestone release. We’re currently working on bringing better icons to SuperX and making the sound system even better, you may see them rolling in with the Milestone releases. Any user using SuperX 3.0, can upgrade to Milestone releases without any extra effort. All you need to do is update your system using the Software Updater.
- x86 Processor: Minimum 1GHz (dual core recommended). 64-bit version requires a 64-bit compatible CPU (most modern CPUs 64-bit compatible)
- RAM: 1GB (2GB recommended)
- 25GB of disk space recommended
- An active Internet connection is recommended for regular software updates
We’ve worked really hard to make Grace what it is now, and we are committed to continue to do so in the future as well. There might be mistakes, bugs or minor glitches. Please report them and we’ll try to fix them.
Special thanks goes out to all our contributors, who worked on for many days to make this possible. And to all the artists whose artwork is included in SuperX: you guys are really wonderful. Thank you all.